Log Home Decorating
Log Home Kitchens
Ideas for log home kitchens that
will help you design your layout and decide which features will work for
you - and your budget! I know...we built our log home and designed the
kitchen to fit our lifestyle.
Although we sold our log home several
years ago and now live in sunny southwest Florida, I have great memories
of the years we lived in our beautiful 'lodge' in Michigan.
Kitchens in a log home can be one
of the most unique features of a rustic residence, so it is beneficial
to plan, read, study, and look at lots of photos to determine
what works for you.
More Log Home Decorating Ideas!
Contemporary Rustic Homes
Small Log Homes
Rustic Window Treatments
Key points to consider for your log home kitchen design:
The photo you see below is our kitchen area. Pretty cool, isn't it?
- How large is the space allocated to the kitchen/eating/dining area?
Many log home designs include an open Great Room that includes all of
the above, plus the living area. Spaces like these work well in log
homes because of the massive size of the interior logs.
- The logs take up space, literally. And,
- How are you going to use your kitchen? A beautiful log kitchen in a magazine may look fabulous, but you don't necessarily want every feature that you see in it.
- they can be overpowering in small spaces.
So your kitchen may be like ours...open to the rest of the room.
Does that work for you? It sure did in our home. The open area, high
gabled ceilings, expansive areas...wonderful for family gatherings and
- What is your budget for the log home kitchen? I know...not so much fun, but necessary to consider in the planning stages. For example, do you want granite, solid surface or laminate
counter tops. Many will say 'granite', so just make sure your budget
allows for it.
- Lighting is so important in a log home, particularly the kitchen. You can combine rustic chandeliers with track lighting, for example, to provide both task and lodge style ambiance.
Consider natural lighting as well, with door walls and
uniquely shaped windows to enhance the beauty of the log interior and
- What type and style of cabinetry will you use in your log kitchen? The
choices are many, with oak, hickory, maple, cherry and rustic pine
among the choices. Be aware the cabinetry costs add up very quickly, so
if your dream kitchen is expansive, make sure the pocketbook is, too.
- We used a mid-line, medium finish hickory cabinet and had the
uppers made extra tall so they wouldn't look 'puny' next to our 12 foot
wall heights. Think about proportions with the cabinets, island, etc.
You might decide to include interesting, theme-based cabinet pulls to complete the decor of the kitchen.
- What is the overall theme of your home?
Log home kitchens, as well as other rooms in the home, can be very
rustic and cabin-like, present a lodge feel, or even blend in some
contemporary accents. Decide which direction you are going in before
making any significant decisions.
Take your time, plan carefully,
watch the budget, and you can design and create a beautiful kitchen in your log
home that will function for your lifestyle.
And, as someone who has lived in a beautiful, lodge style log home, take it from me...you're going to love every minute of it!